Strawberry Upside Down Cake – Purely Decadent!!
I’m back from a long hiatus!! We were visiting our family in India, had loads of fun and now I’m back, a little lonely again, writing this post. The most exciting thing in my life right now is my fridge, full of fresh, red, ripe and luscious STRAWBERRIES!!!! Yes, you guessed it right, we went strawberry picking in the weekend and I’m so happy we did, yay :). We went to the Walnut Springs Farm, in Elkton, MD. The berries are sinfully sweet! Hubby dear is not a fan of strawberries, but he has already had a good share of this juicy goodness.
And, more than eating, he enjoyed the beautiful colors by capturing them in our new NIKON D3000 camera!!! Here are a few pictures for you all to ogle!!
First, that’s me picking all these beautiful berries!
Here are the luscious berries…
Drooling already??? Wait till you see my cake !!!!
I’m a complete novice in DSLR photography. Just started taking my lessons and soon, all gorgeous pictures will be mine.
Well, going ahead with today’s recipe, I’m experimenting with strawberries in my desserts. On my list are strawberry panna cotta, cheesecake and strawberry upside down cake. I started with the cake. I’ve used my regular Vanilla Cake recipe, with a few alterations and just sprinkled the bottom of the baking pan with some sugar and lined up strawberry slices on top of it. Poured the cake batter over this and baked in 350 F oven for 40 mins! Voila!! You could simplify the process with store bought cake mix.
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
Strawberries – 8-10 large berries
Sugar – 2 tbsp
For the cake, you can follow my regular Yellow/Vanilla cake recipe HERE. I have altered the ingredients just a little bit, here is what I changed.
All Purpose flour – 1 cup plus 1 tbsp(1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup)
Baking Soda – 3/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Large Egg – 1
Oil/butter – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Buttermilk/ Sour Cream – 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line the bottom of a 9 by 1 1/2 inch baking pan with parchment paper/aluminum foil and grease it with some butter. Sprinkle the bottom evenly with 2 tbsp of sugar. Line the strawberry slices over the sugar, any which way you want!!! Follow the cake batter recipe from the link given below and pour the batter over the strawberries.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, until a toothpick comes clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 mins and then invert it onto the serving plate carefully. Place the serving plate(inverted) on top of the cake pan and with a steady hand, pick the cake pan up and invert the cake in one swift motion. If you do it slowly, the cake might break.
Tip: Do not attempt this cake without lining the pan with parchment/aluminum foil. I like to use aluminum foil and cover the bottom and all sides of the pan. It just makes sure that the juices from the strawberry do not spoil the removal of the cake.
- You could bake the same cake with different fruits like apple, peach, pineapple, Mango etc.
Please CLICK HERE for the cake recipe.
- The top of this cake is the yummiest part, the sugar and baked strawberries together taste like strawberry jam!!
- Serve this cake warm or at room temperature, maybe with a dollop of whipped cream on top.