Lo Mein – Homemade Chinese Takeout??
Lo Mein is our favorite Chinese takeout. Initially when I tasted it, I didn’t like it at all. I found it quite bland when compared to the Indo-Chinese noodles we get in India. But gradually I started appreciating the taste and now its a regular at our place. Sometimes we just don’t feel like eating out, so I tried making my own version, with spaghetti. It tastes quite good and I make it often. I have tried making this with egg noodles as well, and they taste just as good.
Spaghetti/Egg noodles – 1/2 lb
Onion – 1 (chopped)
Green pepper/Capsicum – 1 (sliced)
Garlic – 2 cloves (finely chopped)
Carrots – 1 (sliced)
Mushrooms – 10 (sliced)
Hot sauce – 3 tbsp ( I use the Sriracha hot sauce)
Duck sauce/Sweet sauce – 2 tbsp
Soy sauce(low sodium) – 3 tbsp
Olive oil/Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Cook the spaghetti al dente and drain. Save some water in which the pasta has been cooked. Alternatively, you can use egg noodles.
- Cut all the vegetables lengthwise. Heat a skillet and add the oil.Saute the onions till they turn translucent. Add the garlic, green pepper and mushroom and saute for 4-5 mins.
- Add all the sauces and saute till the raw smell of the sauce disappears.
- Add about 1/4 cup of pasta water and salt to taste and cook for 3 mins. Be very careful with salt as all the sauces and pasta water have salt in them. Add salt, if required only at the last stage.
- Toss in the pasta and cook for a minute. Close the lid on the skillet and let the pasta absorb all the flavors for 5 mins.