Vegetable Soup with Pasta
This is a hearty soup, a meal in itself, warm & comforting for a cold/rainy day. I make this when I’m in a ‘eat healthy mood’, as it has very little oil and a lot of veggies. I was never really much into making soup at home. I love the sweet corn soup, hot and sour soup, french onion soup and the good old creamy tomato soup at the restaurants. However now I want to explore making good and healthy soups. So here is the result of one of my experiments. I served this soup with homemade instant breadsticks, I shall post the recipe for that in my next post.
CLICK HERE to go to the Instant Breadsticks recipe.
This recipe goes to the Soup ‘N Juice event hosted by Sireesha of Mom’s Recipes.
Onion – 1 medium (chopped finely)
Capsicum/Green pepper – 1 large (chopped finely)
Cabbage – 1 cup (chopped finely)
Mixed Vegetables (carrots, string beans, corn, peas) – 1 cup (I use the frozen mixed veggie bag)
Green chili/Serrano pepper – 2 no. (chopped finely)
Olive oil – 2 tsp
Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
Pasta(cooked) – 1 cup (Use any pasta of your choice, I used shells)
Lemon juice – 1 big lemon or 2 tbsp
Lemon zest – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
crushed pepper – 1/2 tsp
Italian seasoning – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Bay leaf – 1 no.
Coriander leaves/Cilantro – a few sprigs for garnishing
- Boil all the vegetables except onions and green pepper. Do not throw away the excess water.
- Cook the pasta al dente and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add onions and a little salt, saute for 3 mins. Add the garlic, cook for another minute. Now add the bay leaf, finely chopped green chillies, green pepper and cook for 3 mins.
- Add the tomato puree, boiled vegetables, salt, crushed pepper, italian seasoning, lemon zest and the water used to boil the vegetables.
- Add more water and adjust the consistency to your liking. Boil for 5 mins.
- Add the pasta and stop cooking. Season with lemon juice and garnish with a slice of lemon and cilantro.