Instant Breadsticks – Super Tasty!!
When I made the vegetable pasta soup, I didn’t have time to bake breadsticks the traditional way, but wanted something nice to go with the soup. I wanted a breadsticks recipe that I could make instantly. So I just did a google search on “Instant Breadsticks” and pop, there were so many recipes. I never knew there was such a thing as instant breadsticks. But I was glad I found something and wanted to try it. I got the basic recipe from Recipezaar and added a few ingredients to suit my taste. And trust me, I have no words to describe how delicious these were!! Not chewy as the conventional breadsticks, but light, soft and wonderful.
When I say soft, I don’t mean soft like a bread, but they have this wonderful texture, slightly hard, and when you bite into one, there is no crunch, they just melt in your mouth..Heavenly!!!
If any of you have ever tasted ’50-50 maska chaska biscuits’ and happen to love it, believe me this is as close as it gets to the maska chaska taste. This is certainly a keeper recipe and I would make this again and again and again.
All purpose flour – 1 1/4 cup
Sugar – 2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Milk – 2/3 cup
Butter – 3 tbsp(melted)
Onion – 2 tbsp (chopped very finely)
Green Chili/ serrano pepper – 2 no. (chopped very finely)
Garlic – 1 big clove (minced)
Coriander leaves/Cilantro – 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 2 tsp(optional)
- Combine dry ingredients, onion, garlic, green chillies and cilantro, gradually add milk to form a soft dough.
- Knead gently 3 or 4 times on a floured surface.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 10″ x 5″ and cut into 12 sticks.
- Put the melted butter into a large baking dish (I used a 13″ x 9″ rectangular baking tray) and turn the breadsticks to coat them with the butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like.
- Bake at 450°F for 14 to 18 minutes.
- Serve with soup, or these are great as snacks with tea/coffee too.