Mushrooms are my husband’s favorite. I used to never eat mushrooms until I met him. Me and everybody in my family thought it looked and tasted too much like meat. Even now I find that meaty taste is true to an extent, but you just have to develop a taste for it. I had been wanting to make stuffed mushrooms for a while, I ate them first in a restaurant in Hyderabad and liked them a lot. So I just went about recreating the taste. I wanted the mushrooms to be flavorful, so I marinated them in tandoori style masalas. The final outcome was awesome. So good that I could make only the mushrooms again without the stuffing.
Button/Crimini mushrooms – 10-15 no.
Yogurt/Curd – 1 tbsp
Olive oil/Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp (optional)
For the stuffing:
Mushroom stem – chop up all the mushroom stems
Onion – 2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Green Pepper/Capsicum – 2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Carrot – 2 tbsp (grated)
Green chilli – 1 (chopped finely)
Garlic – 1 clove (grated)
Cabbage – 3 tbsp (chopped finely)
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro leaves – 1 tbsp (substitute with italian flat leaf parsley)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Oil/Butter – 1 tsp
Grated Cheese – 1 tbsp (optional, I did not use this)
- Clean the mushrooms and separate the stems from the caps. A slight twist and pull will help you remove the stems.
- Marinating the mushrooms: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for marination and mix well. Now add the mushrooms and coat the mushrooms with this marinade gently. Keep in the refrigerator for at least for an hour.
- Making the stuffing: Heat oil in a skillet, add the onion, grated garlic, salt and saute for 2 mins. Add the rest of the vegetables and masalas, and cook for 3 mins. Add the lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Now Stuff the marinated mushrooms with the stuffing, place them on a baking tray (you can use some non-stick spray on the tray, or line it with aluminum foil).
- Bake for 15 mins and then 2 mins under the broiler. This gives the mushrooms a nice charred look. Enjoy with some mint chutney.
Tip: If you want an Indian restaurant style chutney to go with the stuffed mushrooms, mix 2 tsp of store bought mint chutney with 2 tbsp of yogurt. This tastes amazing with all kababs and pakoras.
If you do not have Indian spices on hand for marination, just use some olive oil, lemon juice, crushed black pepper and salt.
You can make the stuffing also without the Indian spices. Just replace the chaat masala and garam masala with a little curry powder or any seasoning of your choice, for example Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning etc.
You could also grill the mushrooms instead of baking.