Pav Bhaji (with homemade Pav)
Pav Bhaji is an Indian street food. Its a medley of a ton of veggies cooked with tomatoes and the aromatic masala and served the buttery warm pav Actually, this is kinda the Indian sloppy joes!! Pav is bread that looks like this. Pav Bhaji is one of the first recipes I tried when I first ventured into cooking. As a child I always used to help my mom in the kitchen doing little things, you know, bringing this and that, turning something over, just stirring something!! My mother always used to tell me why she was using a particular ingredient in the recipe she was making. I picked up a lot of little details from those sessions, that I find very useful now.
Pav Bhaji is something that my mom never used to make. I was the one who introduced this in our kitchen, so I used to be very happy when I made this, everybody loved it! Not that its not easy to fall in love with! So its is a staple in our house. We don’t usually get Pav in the US, so I learnt to make my own. Click Here to see the homemade Pav recipe.
Peas – 1/2 cup (shelled)
Potatoes – 2 large
Carrots – 2
Green Pepper – 1
French beans – 1 cup
Cauliflower – 2 cups
Onions – 1 large
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Pav Bhaji Masala – 3 tbsp
Tomato puree – 2 Cups/14 Oz
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Serrano Chili/Jalapeno – 2-3 (optional)
Salt – to taste
Cilantro/Coriander leaves – 3-4 tbsp
Lemon juice – to taste
Pav bread – as required (see recipe here)
- Chop all the vegetables. Boil the potatoes and carrots separately in some water, in the microwave.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the onions and serrano chili, saute for 3-4 mins. Add ginger garlic paste and saute again for 4-5 mins, until the raw smell of ginger and garlic fades away.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, chilli powder and pav bhaji masala. Add a little water (about 1/2 cup) and cook for 7-8 mins, without burning the masala, add some more water if required.
- Mix in the green beans, green pepper and cauliflower. Add some more water and cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 mins or untill the vegetables have coked very well. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes and carrots. Now mash all the vegetables in the skillet using a potato masher. Cook until the mixture is semi solid (not runny). Adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle generously with cilantro and and juice of a lemon. Serve with Pav. Sprinkle some raw onions(chopped finely) over the bhaji in the serving plate.
Preparing the Pav: Cut the Pav in the middle and toast slightly using some butter on a griddle. Serve immediately!