Seven Cup Cake – Chickpea flour (Besan) & Coconut Bar
Seven cup cake is a simple and delicious treat. As the name suggests, the ‘Seven Cup’ stands for the number of cups of ingredients used to prepare this sweet. This is almost a foolproof recipe, there is nothing you can go wrong about! The ingredients are very simple. You just need to combine everything together and cook. This is my MIL’s recipe and it came out great! This is my first attempt and see how good they look
Besan/Chickpea flour – 1 cup
Fresh/Frozen Grated Coconut – 1 cup
Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 cup
Milk – 1 cup(I use whole)
Sugar – 3 cups(You can reduce the amount of sugar if you do not like your sweets too sweet, I only use 2 1/2 cups)
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Tip: To make cardamom powder, grind 15-20 pods of green cardamom with 3-4 Tbsp of sugar. Store this in an airtight container.
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed kadai/wok. (It is very important to use a heavy bottomed vessel, otherwise the cake will stick very badly and burn at the bottom)
- Cook on medium flame, stirring every 5 mins until you see lots of bubbles appear.
- Once you see a lot of bubbles, keep stirring every 2 mins until you get a semi solid mass, that starts leaving the sides of the wok. Now add the cardamom powder and mix thoroughly.
- Pour this mixture onto a greased plate/tray(use ghee for greasing), the whole mixture should fall in one single pour, without the help of a spatula. Just tilt the wok into the tray. Spread the mixture with a spatula and smooth the top. Allow to cool for 15 mins.
Tip: When the seven cake is almost ready, it will become difficult to stir, you will need to put in more effort. When this happens, be ready with the greased plate. When the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan almost completely, transfer it into the greased plate/tray(13 by 9) and spread it out quickly. If you are not sure about when to stop cooking, it is okay if you remove it when it gets very difficult to stir and starts leaving the sides of the pan. Worst thing, you will end up with very soft seven cake, which will still be tasty!!!
- When the cake is still warm, use a greased knife to cut into pieces of desired shape. Let cool completely and remove and store in an airtight container.