Pasta with Spinach, Garlic & Breadcrumbs
This is one dish that I make for myself, when I’m alone or I want to eat something light for dinner or lunch. As Ive already told you, I’m not a big fan of pasta in tomato sauce. I prefer pasta in salads, with cheese or in a light sauce. This is a very simple recipe and can be made under 15 mins. The recipe is inspired by Giada de Laurentiis, she used breadcrumbs in one of the pasta dishes and I thought, yummy!! Very simple, garlicky and cheesy! I made this today with some fettuccine. You could recreate this with any pasta, spaghetti would be a good substitute.
Fettuccine – 1/4 pound
Spinach (chopped) – 2 cups
Garlic (minced) – 4-5 cloves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tbsp plus more for drizzling on top
Chili powder/Red chili flakes – 1 tsp
Nutmeg (grated) – a BIG pinch
Parmesan Cheese (grated) – 1/4 cup
Breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup (Italian seasoned bread crumbs would be great!)
Pasta Water – 1/4 cup
Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on low heat. Add the garlic and chili flakes and saute for 3-4 mins on very low heat, so the olive oil is infused with the flavors of garlic and the heat from the red pepper flakes.
- Add the chopped spinach and the nutmeg. Season with a lttle bit of salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta as per package directions, al dente (until the pasta still has a bite to it, not too soft).
- Add about 1/4 cup of the pasta water to the spinach. Drain the spaghetti into the spinach.
- Add grated Parmesan and mix to bring everything together.
- Add the breadcrumbs, toss to mix everything together and serve immediately. If you do not serve immediately, warm it in the microwave or oven just before serving!
Serve with a glass of your favorite wine.