Kidney Bean Biscuits – Desi Fusion
I had read a bean biscuit recipe somewhere and never thought of making it until the JFI kidney bean event was announced this month. I wanted to do something different and new with kidney beans. So this is my innovation here, rajma curry flavors, packed in a biscuit! Great texture of pureed kidney beans, a hint of tomato and garlic, heat from the chilli powder and all this, enhanced with some garam masala…could you want more than this?? The recipe is pretty simple, can be made in 30 mins, with all the ingredients at hand. When I went about explaining the recipe to my DH, he gave me weird looks, but the final product was a hit!! This would be great for a breakfast or even a tea time snack!
This is my entry for JFI:Rajma hosted by Divya of ‘Dil Se’.
Makes 10, 2 inch biscuits
All-purpose flour – 3/4 cup
Whole wheat flour – 1/4 cup(substitute AP flour if you do not have wheat flour)
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Granulated sugar – 1/2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Red Chili powder – 1 tsp (reduce if you want to)
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
Tomato paste(Hunt’s) – 1 tbsp
Butter or soft margarine – 3 tbsp
Cooked kidney beans – 1/2 cup (I used canned)
Milk – 1/3 cup (I used whole)
- Stir dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.(I microwaved the butter for 10 secs and mixed it in using my hands).
- In food processor or blender, puree beans with milk and tomato paste, or mash beans and stir in milk and tomato paste.
- Stir into dry ingredients all at once to make light soft dough. Knead lightly.
- Shape biscuits by rolling, patting and cutting or divide dough into 10 pieces and shape by hand. Freeze for 10 mins.
- Bake at 400 F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.