Potato Masala Roast – Mommy Style
This is one curry that my amma makes, that I have never had anywhere else. I love potato, well who dosen’t?? Actually my husband doesn’t, I mean he is not a fan, but eats them anyways. I absolutely adore potatoes in everything, from a simple potato fry to podimas, and in north Indian gravies, aloo parantas, actually I always make chole/rajma with aloo as my mom does, cuz I love to pick the aloo and eat! Well I cannot leave out hash browns and french fries either :). Such a versatile vegetable, can take any flavor we want it to and tasted delicious always!! I do not know the origin of this curry, but I love it. I used to be so happy when my mom would pack this in my lunch box :). So here I am, sharing this family secret with you. I can guarantee you will relish this!!! And try not to use Russet potatoes for this, as they are too sweet and too soft, they also tend to fall apart. Use Yukon Gold or Red potatoes for best results. The same method can also be used with Arbi, Yam or Raw Plantains.
*Update: I forgot to mention potato chips in the above list of favorite foods, and the chips haunted me in my dreams yesteday! So, potato Chips, I love ya :)*
Potatoes – 4 medium(boiled and cut into quarters)
Onion – 1 medium(sliced)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1/2 tsp(or more)
Salt – to taste
For the Masala:
Fresh grated coconut/Dessicated coconut – 3 tbsp
Garlic – 4-5 pods
Green Chili/Serrano pepper – 3-4 no.(adjust according to your spice level)
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro leaves – a handful
Curry leaves – 3-4 no.
Fennel/Saunf seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera – 1 tsp
Khus Khus – 2 tsp(I did not use it)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a few
- Boil and quarter the potatoes.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned for the masala without adding any water. It is fine if this is chunky. In a bowl, place this masala and mix in the salt.
- Add the quartered potatoes to this masala and coat evenly, very gently.
- Heat oil in a skillet and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add rest of the ingredients for the tempering and turmeric powder, saute till the dals get a golden hue.
- Mix in the sliced onions and saute for 4-5 mins till the onions are tender. Add the chili powder and mix.
- Add the masala coated potatoes and stir very gently to coat the oil-onion mixture on the potatoes. Now leave it alone(seriously) on medium-high for 5 mins. Seriously do not peek in between. Then turn the potatoes and similarly cook till the potatoes are roasted on all sides to perfection. Be careful not to burn it though!
- Serve with rice or dosa or roti. Actually, this could be a snack too!!