Vegetable/Egg Fried Rice
I know all of you know how to make fried rice…then why another recipe??? Well, the answer is – one of my experiments resulted in this absolutely delicious fried rice, I had to share it with you all!! The secret is a very simple 1 inch cube. OK now, before I spoil the mystery element, the secret ingredient is Knorr Vegetable Bouillon cubes. Yes, I had got a packet of this for making soups. I was set out to make fried rice when this wonderful idea struck me! So I just added a bouillon along with soy sauce, and you won’t believe me, but the whole house smelled like a Chinese restaurant (Indo-Chinese).
This is by far the best fried rice I’ve ever made at home, certified by DH. We loved it!!! Seriously, you have to try this to taste the flavors I’m talking about. And I did not even add garlic! I now truly agree with Knorr that “Great tastes come in small packages”. I have already made this twice in a day :). I’m a vegetarian, so I used the vegetable bouillons. You can also try the chicken or beef. This is a great way to use leftover rice too, children will love this, and you could sneak in a ton of veggies. I like to scramble my eggs separately, you can do it however you like.
This recipe is off to Anita’s ‘APS – Rice Event‘.
(Use any vegetable on hand, these are just what I used)
French Beans – 1/2 cup(chopped)
Carrot – 1/2 cup(chopped)
Broccoli florets – 1 cup
Spring Onion – 2 no.(chopped, greens and whites separated)
Knorr Vegetable Bouillon cubes – 2 no.
Soy Sauce – 2 tsp
Tomato Ketchup/Duck sauce – 2 tsp
Chili powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp(optional)
Green Pepper – 1/2 cup(chopped)
Eggs – 4 no.
Cooked Rice – 2 cups
Oil – 2-3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Scramble the eggs with a little salt separately and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the carrot, beans and white portion of green onions. Add a tsp of salt and cook for 4 mins on high.
- Mix in the green pepper. Add the vegetable bouillon cubes, 2 tbsp water, soy sauce, ketchup/duck sauce and chili powder. Mash the bouillon cubes to mix them thoroughly. Cook this mixture for 2-3 mins. Add some crushed black pepper if you like.
- Add the cooked rice and mix thoroughly, adjust salt. Now move away, stir after 5 mins. Turn the rice, and again stir only after 5 mins. Do this for about 15-20 mins, so the rice can absorb the flavors completely. Mix in the scrambled eggs and greens of the green onions.
- Serve hot. You can eat this just like this or my recipe for Chinese vegetables in garlic sauce will soon follow!!!