Vanilla (Yellow) Cake with Fresh Lemon Frosting
I was just craving for a cake today. So I decided to make a simple vanilla cake, with some fresh lemon frosting. I was waiting to try out this frosting from a cookbook that I’m reading right now, The Complete Baking Cookbook by George Geary. It has a wonderful collection of cake and frosting recipes. The frosting was sweet and tangy, and went very well with the simple cake. The cake was very moist, as I used buttermilk. I somehow do not like too many eggs in a cake. So this recipe was perfect for me. You could also make this as a two layered cake, just double the recipe and make more frosting (use the original recipe below). Please check the similar chocolate cake recipe here.
All Purpose flour – 1 cup plus 1 tbsp(1/2 cup plus 2/3 cup)
Baking Soda – 3/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Large Egg – 1
Oil/butter – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
Fresh Lemon Frosting:
(The Complete Baking Cookbook – George Geary)
(Original) Makes 3 cups
Unsalted Butter(softened) – 1/3 cup
Grated Lemon zest – 2 tsp
Freshly squeezed lemon juice – 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 1/2 tsp
Confectioner’s sugar(sifted) – 4 1/2 cups
(My reduced quantities)
Unsalted Butter(softened) – 3 tbsp
Grated Lemon zest – 1 tsp
Freshly squeezed lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Confectioner’s sugar(sifted) – 1 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the bottoms of a 9 inch round pan with parchment paper circles,or with foil(lightly greased with oil/non stick spray). Sift together flour, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Cream the oil and sugar together until you get a pale yellow color, about 4-5 mins with a hand beater.
- Mix in the oil, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 3-4 mins.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time, into the wet ingredients. Repeat this for the rest of the flour. Do not over mix, each time mix only until the dry and wet ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35-40 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- After 15-30 mins, remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.
- Cover the cake with the frosting, I just used the back of a spoon to create simple spikes. Decorate as you wish.
Mix together all the ingredients for the frosting and cream with a whisk or hand beater for about 5 mins, until the mixture is creamy. If required, add some milk to get the consistency you want. For me this works just fine.